Sunday, April 24, 2011

Stupid survey answers

There's a survey organization for which I fill out online surveys from time to time. (In exchange, I receive "points" that I can accumulate to get a gift card to some local restaurant or retailer.) Most of the questions are based on my choices as a consumer, asking questions like how many lawn mowers or automobiles or power saws I've bought in the last 6 months.

Sometimes the questions are attitudinal (again, mostly related to consumer choices). So, for example, they might give me the name of a fast food place and a statement regarding that chain, like "X restaurant has my best interests at heart" or "X restaurant is the type of place I want to be seen at." The answers are multiple choice and are put on a scale, for example, and sometimes they are expressed in terms of whether I "agree" with the statement:
  • Strongly agree
  • Slightly agree
  • Neither agree nor disagree
  • Slightly disagree
  • Strongly disagree
What I dislike about this choice is that "slightly agree" and "slightly disagree" are meant to be the next step to the "strongly agree" and "strongly disagree." However, in everyday conversation, if I say I "slightly agree" with something, I usually mean that I almost don't agree with it at all; and if I say I "slightly disagree" with something, I usually mean that I agree with it almost completely except for, say, one or two qualifications.

What's up with that?

No comments: