Friday, July 1, 2022

Book buying online

When I look at a book advertisement on, say, Amazon, most of the time two key pieces of information are missing or very difficult to find. The first is the date of publication. The second is the table of contents.

Those two items are, in my view, very important for judging whether I'm inclined to want to read or buy the book. The date of publication tells me the approximate historical context. The table of contents says a lot (not everything, but a lot) about, well, the content of the book.

What perplexes me is why it's so hard to find this info on the book-selling sites. I would have thought those would be disclosed by default.

To be clear, it's not impossible to find that information. Book-selling sites usually have a "read an excerpt" and that excerpt usually includes the title/copyright pages and table of contents. But not always. And it's one extra step.

No comments: